In this project, we have created our personal memoirs in both English and our native languages. To share our work, we have uploaded a written and oral version so that many people can enjoy our work!

The work presented is still in draft form, and we will continue to improve the quality of our work through the feedback and questions provided by readers/listeners! Please comment with compliments, suggestions and questions for us.

[All names have been changed to protect student privacy and all comments will be moderated by school staff.]


Catherine (Haiti, Age 16): English 131


Record music and voice >>
Hello my name is Catherine and this is my memoir about my life from Haiti to United states. I’m 16 years old and i’m from Haiti, so i’m a young boy which used to live in a rural small town in Haiti which called “Leogane.” So in my town there are big houses and I also used to lived in a big house too, but remember back than in January 12 2010 after the earthquake in Haiti all the houses broke apart ( as fallen) even the house that I used to lived in as broke apart. So now my family has built a little small house on the same spot that the first house use to be, just to live in, but there was my friend house across the street from my house that didn’t break during the earthquake. So now my town look durty, too much trash on the streets, a lot of people cursing on the streets, and too much noise at night while people is sleeping, and also too much durty and poor people on the streets, around my town.


  According to Xiaojun memoir I used to lived a little different from how Xiaojun used to lived in China. Because in my home town people had their own TV in there house, so I used to have a TV and i still got a TV at my house in Haiti. We only can watch TV, only when the government gave the electricity, because the electricity come almost every night, or when we dont have electricity we went to the cinema to watch movies, in the cinema they used Car batteries to make electricity and to charge our phones, but we have to pay to watch TV or neighter to charge our phones, and this is how I used to live in Haiti before I moved to the United States.
Saturday-September-10-2011 was the day that I’ve moved to the United States with my father, and my Sister. The day that I was leaving my home town to U.S.A early in the morning mom woke me up and make me go and say bye to all of my friends, and my mom and I were crying and I was Sad.


  September 10 2011, was my first trip to America, so it was three of us which was my dad, me, and my little sister. We was the only people that was leaving to America, and the first place that we went to was “Waconia” a really beautiful place in Minnesota, so we only lived there for like about a month in half, I used to go to school there I’ve had a lot of friends there and the school name was “Clear Water Middle School”. So While we was in Mennisota we went to a lot of places like my step mother’s friends house the mall and we also went to Church every Sunday, and we actually had a lot fun back there. But while my Sister and I were there my Dad came to New york for to visite my Aunty, Uncle, and my GrandParents for a weekend and than came back on Sunday. So I heard him was talking on the phone and said that he’s gonna take us to New York too, just to go visite them too.and so we did came to New York til then.


  November-1-2011 was my first flight to New York City till now, so we all came to New York now. So I was sick in 2 to 3 days they took me to the hospital and try to get a surgery because remember I’ve got hurt from the earthquake in Haiti which is my home country, so my cousin was trying to help me get the surgery so I could normally pee, because my blader was broken.
But that night the doctors said they couldn’t do it in the same night so it’s going to take a while to fix it. So now every week I have to go to the hospital to see my Doctor and my Doctor did all he can to get me to normal. Finally after two years I got my surgery done and my doctor said I can pee perfect now.


  After I came from Minnesota, after a month I went to Junior High school. I sarted from 7th grade than graduated from 8th grade and than went to an High School name “International High School at Lafayette” and so now i’m a 10th grader now. But there was a friend of mind that we used to be in the same grade when I was in 8th grade, we both graduated together and went to the same High school and the same grade but not in the same class.
The last time that I went to my home town was last summer 2014, just went to visit my family and friends, my sister and I we both went, and we only spent 3 months there and came back to New York for school, and now i’ve had a great school year, this year, and I hope to go back to see my family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback or questions you may have!