In this project, we have created our personal memoirs in both English and our native languages. To share our work, we have uploaded a written and oral version so that many people can enjoy our work!

The work presented is still in draft form, and we will continue to improve the quality of our work through the feedback and questions provided by readers/listeners! Please comment with compliments, suggestions and questions for us.

[All names have been changed to protect student privacy and all comments will be moderated by school staff.]


Jordy (Guatemala, Age 15): English 061


Hello my name is Jordy Escobar, i’m ‘15’ years old I come  from Guatemala  I immigrate to New York about one year ago. my life in my country was very hard because i had to take care of animals by my self. my Grandmother  has a big Farmer so I had to give them food and also make it every morning before School. i had to cut Grass give them water and also milking  Cows. i only live with my Grandmother and it was very hard for me to be lonely i have a lot of cousin but they live far and sometimes they just come in weekends to see us. I  every day go to school, the classes start at 8:00 am  so i have to wake up early give Animals food so i can be in school on time the school ends at 1:00 pm in my school we don’t eat launch  but anyway we have to wait until we got home and eat food i could say our school were very poor but we go there to learn and also after school I have to be home at 1:10 after that time my Grandmother is gonna got mad at me and start to yell at me if i got home late. but i enjoy to be with my friends in school I  had a lot of friends sometimes we start to fight but like i said that little kids games one day you fight and the next you are laugh with them again.

My Grandmother had a big farmer she was a great woman above I had 8 dogs they always take care of me and the animals. actually they were like my friends, I meet a lot of friends in middle school they were very cool at the times before but over the years they change a  lot they start to smoke and they also start to create gangs I never follow them after they change. because my goal and my dreams was to show my Parents that I really appreciate what they give me I will be honest I didn't follow bad friends but I also try smoke and drunk alcohol  but now I understand why I did it and its because I was without someone to tell me what was right or wrong  but I try to clean my mind of that.
in my country its beautiful but hard to live people have to work very hard like 14 hours and they got a less pay that one of my dreams make my country rich so childrens don’t have to suffer what I pass in my life in my country are a lot of kids that have a most hard and difficult but we can’t stop it maybe we born to be like that and suffer a lot many times i look at the sky waiting that someone like  a hero come and take me to somewhere else a place where i can’t suffer but its funny because now i know that it never will happen i’m the person that have to save my own life without someone do that for me or be the hero . in my country also had a lot of feat in every city or town they have like a special saint and in honor to them they celebrate feast. i don’t know but i think my country is so beautiful all people are respectful when you walk in streets and you found people they always say hi to you and that something i really like in the schools we learn how to respect each other i’m really proud to be born there i’ll remember everything I had live in my country maybe I will not see my grandmother if I decide to come back there its hard just to think that i will not see the person that take care of me since I was a little baby  and that’s my Grandmother.



Well I don't remember if I really was four or five years when my dad abandoned my mom me and my older when he come to the United States he start a new family and he forgot completely about us and we have to suffer a long time without food and a place where to live  my life was very  sad and hard but we try our best every time without him I could give everything just to know why he abandoned us I could give everything just for a minute for a hug of him or to know if we have something in common but its very hard to get it probably it never will happen but we grew up with my grandmother it was very hard because she drunk alcohol everyday and sometimes she got mad and she take us to sleep out of the house at night my god it was very scared to be outside in the darkness I never could go outside to play because my grandmother was very strict when I was a little kid my dream was to be a taller man and be rich when I grew up that and I still with the same idea and I'm doing what I should do to achieve It I want to show my parents that with or without a father or mother everything its the same the life its only one and we have to enjoy it spending time with our family brothers and else.
Well my mom had to leave us and immigrated to new york because she couldn't support about our situation so when I were  five years old she leave us and she start to working here in new york for give us a better future and a better life than before we love her so much.


I have to immigrate and leave my country family friends culture and more above this I have to leave the person I love as a mother my grandmother she was everything for me I leave Guatemala for the first time in march 2012 but the federal police capture us in Mexico  so they send me to  a juvenile house I had been there for 15 days then then they send me right to my country again so after that I went back with my family but after two days we have to retry. But we canceled mine trip and only my uncle which also was with me come and try again he passed  on the second time but I didn't want to come again so I stay there with my grandmother for one more year. One year later we decide that I will come and try again I arrive Mexico in October 2013 I cross the border between Mexico. and U.S.A  then after that I cross the desert that was very hard and I don't want to remember that because there were no one that can help me but I try my best because the only thing I want is to come and meet my mom so with i have   the  person that give me the life and that all I need to be happy I have a lot of goals to achieve a lot of things that I need to learn but like I said step by step everything is possible to get and achieve I never give up I still learning English but that something that I spend more  time but I know I will get it If someone from South America  or from my country read this I will say work hard be proud for where you come from climb trees be smart if you want to achieve your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback or questions you may have!