Audio and voice recording >>
Stinky Tofu (Chinese, Age 15)
I am Stinky Tofu. I lived in China before I moved to America. China has a lot tasty food and I try some of them. But I am prefer to eat foods from other cultures. For example: Japan’s famous food, Sushi. In my neighborhood, I usually went to the other town and ate a lot Sushi in the buffet within friends. In the buffet, there are a lot other culture’s food, but most of them are Asian food. Except the Sushi, my another favorite food is Pasta. Also,I liked to play basketball with my friends, whatever I am not good at it and I think it just for fun.
In September,2013, I am a 8 grade student in Middle school. Every week, I had to live in school in 5 days. In our school, teachers are mean and there is a lot homework. In school, I had to run 800 meters on the playground after I woke up. I really hated that but that actually is good for us. After finish class, I had time to rest. I hated that girls are laughing and boys talk so loud. I had to pay for lunch with money. There is rice, beans, little bit chicken and chinese cabbage. That taste not so bad. Also, I could add money to buy delicious food. such as: beef is tastiest in all. Everyday, I have do much homework. After I finish homework, I feel dizzy because there is a lot homework. In our school, I have to learn 8 subjects. There are Math, Biology, Chinese, History, English, Physics, Geography and Politics.
Before I leave China, I created a party in my house. There were 10 more friends come to the party. Someone of them didn’t want to come before, but I solve the party is for me immigrant to America. Then they come and want to say goodbye to me. They also brought some gifts, that make me feel little touching. They all said:“congratulation about move to America.” That is great blessing for me. Because in China, people always think of immigrated to America is good thing. Their life will be better than before. But I don’t agree that. Reason is my dad didn’t have to work in China. He rent the house to other people and collect money every month. But right now, he have to work day by day. I know he is fatigued. How is his life better than before.
March, 2014, I flew to New York with my father. That is my first time to take the plane. On the plane, there is noise around the plane when it fly. That make many people can’t fall in sleep. But I did. I slept like 4 hours. When I woke up, I feel hungry. There is flight attendant to service for me. I call them and try to decide my lunch. There is a lot food I can choose. For example: noodles,hamburger and kind of food i never know. At last, I didn’t choose my favorite food, noodles. Because I will accept new things soon. So I need to fit them. Such as: new food, new friends and so on.
Next day, I reached to America. I asked my father where do we sleep tonight? He answered me we will live in relative's horse. We took a taxi and get to our relative’s house. The house owner is my grandfather’s youngest sister. She is so nice to us. We place the baggage and then sleep in one room. Actually, I didn’t fall in sleep. I am just lying in the bed. I am not sleepy. Right now, there is 2 o’clock in China. My brain can’t fit that and think of now is noon. That is reason why I can’t fall in sleep. People call that time difference.
After one week, I fit the time difference and I start to go to Middle School. In school, I saw black people, white people and asian. I was very scared about this strange place. At the beginning, I don’t know how to get the lunch. I don’t know what is my ID number. I don’t know what is going on in the class. Fortunately, there are many chinese in our class. And I try to talk them and be friends with them. Then, they teach me the rules of the school, how to go to bathroom and a lot things i didn’t get before. And right here, I want to say thank you to them.
September, 2015. I be 9 grader in High school. That day, my dad told me:“ You have to learn more English and then get a great job when you are order. Don’t play too much games, that is not good for you.” I know what he mean. He don’t want me work very tired like him when I am grow up. So, I have to learn more English and then get a great job. Make more money, then my father will not be tired like right now.
add more detail for characterization and setting.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about other country's food in China.
ReplyDeleteYou had a Wonderful name, I think you should write your family in your memoir.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of detail about food, maybe you can tell us more about your family
ReplyDelete