In this project, we have created our personal memoirs in both English and our native languages. To share our work, we have uploaded a written and oral version so that many people can enjoy our work!
The work presented is still in draft form, and we will continue to improve the quality of our work through the feedback and questions provided by readers/listeners! Please comment with compliments, suggestions and questions for us.
[All names have been changed to protect student privacy and all comments will be moderated by school staff.]
Alina (Nepal, Age 15): English
Audio recording software >> English: Alina (Nepal, Age 15)
Hello, my name is Alina. I come from a small city called Kathmandu. I live with my dad, Aunt, and sometimes with sister. I existed in my own house. In Kathmandu I spent most of my time with my friends because we survive in a hostel. The worst thing I don't like about my school is in school when I don't cut my nail my teachers used to hit me with the ruler and stick. I hold one dog and three puppies.My sister study in India. I have many friends They all are decent and caring. I barely get three month vacation once a year. That time I'm allowed to go to the mansion after the holiday I am not allowed to have a holiday for a five month I was small seven years old when my mom went to New York . Sometimes me and my papa go to India to visit a sister.
In my school, the rules changed a lot, so one day our headmaster told us that we will have three month vacation. My friends and I were so glad because it was the first time we got long vacation. At the same time we were sad we know that we were getting to leave. We will not going to spend our time anymore until the holiday. After that my friend and I were carrying our clothes. I got to the house. My auntie, grandmother and dad was happy to see me. After that I was playing with my puppy. My daddy was talking about New York with grandma. He didn't tell me anything around that. I thought it's something else, so I simply didn't really concentrate. The following day my mom call me she told me to work hard and concentrate in school. After three days my dad and I went to shopping. We purchase things that we already have, I was wondering why my dad was buying I asked him, but he didn't tell me anything. After one week he told me that we got the visa. My grandmother told everyone relatives, cousin, and friends. When I heard about that I was confused, later my dad told me we are moving to New York.
Since I know that I am going to New York, I started to imagined thing in my mind. I thought I was just too overreacting that's why I started imagine things ,but it was not only one day. I was really happy suddenly I realized that only my dad and I are going. I was sad when my friends were laughing since I know I can't spend my time with them anymore. At night I was really worried.. I was thinking how am I going to adjust in new place. Before ,I came to New York I thought there would be pool where I can swim with my siblings. There were a lot of trained dogs and puppy, in Kathmandu there are a lot of dogs and almost every dog are not trained. Whenever I watch a movie first they show commercial about big building pool and dress in New York. Since I watch the commercial and we are going to New York I was so excited. I know that going to new place is not easy ,but it is not impossible. After I watch movie I went to sleep. I couldn't even close my eyes it was really hard for me to sleep and not think about new people, new place. after three month our relatives and cousin came to our house to bless us and they were crying. my dad and sister were also crying ,but not me. I went to buy a box of chocolate because I thought in New York there will be chocolate ,but it won't taste exactly like in Kathmandu chocolate. My relatives give me money. I still remember when my sister got news she was happy because she will going to get all things that I had and I won't tell mom what's going on with her friend . Honestly she was sad , but she doesn't want us to get sad.
After three days my dad and I were packing thing that our cousin told us to turn over other people. The following day was our flight. We did just about the kind of pray cause my grandmother believe that if we pray our first step in new York will good its like wishing best. We left from the mansion and the flight was at 11;00 am and we get out at 10 because we know there will be traffic.The exact same thing happens, but we missed the flight because of the traffic. We can’t go home because there is many people think bad.So my dad decides to tell aunt and stay in hotel . After we went in the hotel we stay there for two days until we catch another flight. Following morning we got the flight we wait in the airport until they call us. 3 hours later they called my daddy and my name. We show some forms of paper and password. When I got inside the airplane people were crying some were laughing at some kind of joke. All the people were from different country some were Pakistani,Indian, and most of them were American. I Taught at New York only white people lived, but I was wrong black people live too. It's not like I never saw black people it's because I only saw white people in TV. I was frightened to travel by airplane, it was not my first time since I heard about airplane crash I was worried. I was asking my dad about crash airplane. I told him, what if we perish, but I desire to enjoy my life.I don't want to die fast”. He was mad hearing about dying. he explain me not to babble about the thing that won't happen. Afterward we get off from Singapore airplane, it took 1 day to get in Singapore because we had to change the airplane twice. We get away from the airplane, we only got to see inside of Singapore airport. When I discover the train in Singapore was clean and cool. There were few people and the door was locked. It was all very different. (Singapore train vs. India train). In India there were sitting up and downwards. Two hours afterwards they announced that the Singapore flight is on and before we operated in airplane. We had to show all stuff. It took us one day to arrive in the U.S.
My daddy and I get off from airplane and we were finally in New York. My uncle was waiting for us outside. When I first step outside of the JFK airport. I was then confused because it's not same as I saw on TV, but I thought my house would be great. We sit in car service when I see building from the window. The building were kind of similar to Nepal. After 1 hour my uncle got us in an apartment building. I believed all the apartment was ours! I was actually excited and there was an elevator too. I went into a building when I realized our house I thought the entire closet were room and in my house there are 7 closets. I was just really happy about it. I was so excited to see all the room, but I was diffident to ask uncle. When my uncle got to the bathroom, I went to see the room. When I open the door, I felt so weird I thought it was room , I open all the closet and I find out it wasn't a room it was a closet (a. A space where we hang out clothes). When my uncle got out I ask him "can we go home now,they were laughing at me.He told me from now on I would live in this flat building. I was really mad, but I didn't say anything. I was laying on the bathroom floor crying. I was excited, but not anymore and I have stated my friend I would send them a pic of my room and pool. At night my mom arrived from work she was happy to see dad and me. My entire cousin came to meet us. They were also happy for us. I was really tired so I went to sleep. Tomorrow morning I woke up at 4 am cause I missed my country, friends and things I get employed with. After one month I began to go to school. The first day of my school wasn't good. At that place were few students in my school who speak my language, but not in class. Thank god there were some Pakistani girls who speak Urdu. They actually helped me a lot. Likewise, my younger sister came from Nepal and I had to take care of her also cleaned the house. I wasn't that happy to clean room.
Well, now its 3 years I have been to New York. Only I know how I spent 3 years in New York. I wasn’t happy when I first got here, but now I am happy. I got a lot of friends’ learned how to set in a new place and there are all equal here.no one treats black people badly. The main things I learned is having a puppy, room, dress and pool are not the primary reason to give you happiness. The main reason is to spend our time with our family is the main reason. At once I am happy to take care of my sister, brother and help my mom clean room. I am now in 10th grade. All my teachers and friends are nice.I also want to travel back to my country and tell my friend about my teacher and friends in New York..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
why u came to US?
ReplyDeletei like how you give so many details how you lived in nepal. i would like to know more about what your life was in New York in beside school.
ReplyDelete